The Hidden Cameras - The Arms of His Ill 10" EP



Joel Gibb, the mastermind behind Toronto's Hidden Cameras gives us seven 4-track demos of songs that were enlushened on their watermark Mississauga Goddam album. This 10" was released on Absolutely Kosher Records...in this century (2004)! For someone with outstanding pop sensibilities, he sure designs ugly record sleeves/labels though.

Side A mp3: The Hidden Cameras - Music Is My Boyfriend
Side A mp3: The Hidden Cameras - Bboy
Side A mp3: The Hidden Cameras - In The Union of Wine
Side B mp3: The Hidden Cameras - Doot Doot Plot
Side B mp3: The Hidden Cameras - Fear Is On
Side B mp3: The Hidden Cameras - Builds The Bone
Side B mp3: The Hidden Cameras - Mississauga Goddam

6 comments:

Chris said...

What do you use to import these tracks?

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris,

I use a Numark USB turntable I ordered from a place in Toronto. It came with Audacity software that I use to try to spruce up the sound a bit. There's a bit of hum to the recordings, but they're reasonably reasonable I think. Hope you agree.

G

Anonymous said...

my god, I love this blog!
thank you very much.

Chris said...

G,

I barely notice the hum in your recordings at all. I'm using an ion USB turntable recording with Audacity through a Macbook and the hum in my mp3's is just awful. I was wondering how you could attenuate the hum or get rid of it altogether.

Audacity's Noise Removal works sometimes, but it leaves a whooshing sound at times and sometimes clips the higher pitches in the songs. Do you use anything else to minimize it?

Thanks, and again great mp3 blog!

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris,

The Audacity Guide points out some compatibility issues with OS X. It took me a while to figure out what settings work best; I had a lot of shrieking feedback at first (and not on the records!). It's important to have the MIDI contol panel settings matching the Audacity ones (2 bit, 16 channel, 44100 rate). I also found I had more hum when I have the volume turned up while recording...so now I record with the volume low/off. Finally, the master input volume is set to max by default in Audacity; turning that down a bit might help too. You can use the Amplify effect in Audacity to make it louder later on. I don't use Noise Removal. Once I've recorded, I use Normalize (just correcting the offset, not the -3 DB option), then I Amplify (set to not allow clipping). If there are lots of pops and clicks, I use Remove Clicks before I use Amplify. That's all I do. If you want me to send you a screencap of my settings, post your email here and I'll email them to you.

G

Anonymous said...

Where can I e-mail you about great new, undiscovered music?