The Cannanes - Frightening Thing



The Cannanes are still at it; we saw them at the Hopetoun (or "Hoey" as the locals call it) in Sydney this summer, on our lovely month-long vacation. Back in 1992, when this 7" was released on K Records, the band lived in the Newtown area of Sydney, which was our favourite Sydney hood. But now they live in Melbourne, which they seemed to lament a little, at least in front of a roomful of (mostly) Sydney folk. We didn't get to Melbourne, so I cannot comment on the Sydney/Melbourne rivalry. The Cannanes put on a fine set that afternoon, and they even played this song, much to my delight, as it is my favourite. "Frightening Thing" gets five stars from me for being a ramshackled piece of pop perfection. By the way -- I'm starting to have strong sexual desires -- that's what the shark is saying to the Freudian-like character on the cover. In case you were wondering.

Side A - The Cannanes - Frightening Thing [5 stars mp3]

No comments: